Building your animal’s immune system and keeping them healthy will help their resistance to fleas, ticks and other pests. The following is the life cycle of the flea so that you can see the importance of keeping your pet’s environment clean.
1) Adult fleas live about three to four months, laying eggs during this time that look like dandruff or salt crystals.
2) The Fleas eggs hatch out into larvae that can live in cracks and crevices, rugs, upholstery, blankets, and the like.
3) The tiny larvae cannot jump and can only travel approximately an inch. The larvae feed on dried blood called flea dirt that falls off of your pet along with eggs when your pet scratches or grooms themselves.
4) After one to two weeks the larvae go through a cocoon or pupa stage.
5) A week to two weeks later, the fleas hatch out and hop onto the nearest warm body for a meal of blood. And the whole process starts over again.
6) This cycle can take 2 to 20 weeks depending on the climate. In most locations during the summer flea season, the entire cycle can take only a couple of weeks.
Wow! Where did summer go?!? It’s hard to believe there is cool weather on the horizon. But here it is! Fall is here! Fleas are still here too! I’m up in Portland right now and my son’s little Abyssinian kitty scratched her face raw from a flea bite. I know, you would expect my own children to have and use Pip & Willy’s but that’s how it is with family sometimes. We have to prove it to them before they get it. So on with Pip & Willy's flea powder and off with the fleas. She’s feeling much better! So just because it’s cooler weather don’t be surprised that those fleas are still lurking about. You can always check by using a flea comb if your pet has a coat that one easily can go through and you’re looking for the little dark specs of flea dirt or poop. You may even be lucky to get a few fleas caught in the comb teeth and then you can easily put them in a bowl of soapy water. It’s very rewarding! And if your pet has fleas just put a little Pip & Willy’s flea powder or spray on them. Put some in your shoes by the door or on your front door mat to help prevent them from coming into your abode. Viola! Happier Healthier you and pet! Remember too, a healthy diet and ample sunshine help our pets take in more vitamins and minerals and keep their immune systems healthy.